Tsubasacon continues to regularly monitor concerns associated with coronavirus (COVID-19), and we want to take a moment to provide an update as it relates to Tsubasacon, which will be held in Charleston, WV October 9-11, 2020.
We are closely monitoring the cases of COVID-19 in the US and looking to the Center for Disease Control (CDC), World Health Organization (WHO) and various Infectious Disease Advisory Groups for guidance as well as the local Health Departments where our signature events is planned.
The following online resources are available, including WHO Coronavirus Website, CDC Coronavirus Website, and USOPC Coronavirus Update Website.. We encourage you to follow the travel, prevention, testing, and treatment recommendations outlined by the CDC.
Currently, Tsubasacon 2020 will be held as scheduled. We will not be relocating or postponing our events. We recognize that our participants will come from all over the United States and some from outside the US. We will be advising our participants on safety precautions as the event gets closer.
We recommend the following prevention measures for all attendees and staff. These include social distancing, frequent handwashing, avoiding contact with your face, covering your mouth with a tissue or your elbow, staying home if you are sick, and regularly cleaning frequently touched surfaces. It is also best practice to ensure immunizations are up to date to reduce the risk of seasonal flu infections.
Best ways to prevent spreading COVID-19:
- Practice frequent and meticulous handwashing with soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- When coughing or sneezing, it is suggested to do so into a flexed elbow or sleeve.
- Avoid close contact with anyone with cold or flu-like symptoms.
- Quarantine anyone who is sick (athlete, coaches, parents, roommates).
- Ensure safe food sources; wash vegetables and thoroughly cook meat and eggs.
- Use individual water bottles; do not share them.
- Towels should not be shared in any way.
We will continue to keep you updated as we gather more information on the topic.