Register for the cosplay craftsmanship contest, and you will be given a chance to show off your costume on stage! Even if you’d rather not be judged, we have an exhibition walk-ons category as well. This year’s theme is Good vs Evil. Mitsuki and Kitsuba would love to see what you come up with! There will be a special award for anyone that falls in the category of our theme!
EXHIBITION: This category is for people who do not want to be judged and only want to show off their costume on stage for fun. It will not be for competing to receive awards. This category allows commission costumes and store-bought costumes. There will be a limit to this category depending on number of contestants.
CONVENTION THEME AWARD: Anyone entering will automatically be considered for this award if their cosplay fits this years theme for the convention.
DIVISION AWARDS: The best entries in each division–Novice, Journeyman, and Master–will receive 3rd, 2nd, and 1st place awards. If there are not enough entries in a category for three cosplayers to place, the judges may choose not to award one or more of the prizes.
BEST OVERALL CRAFTSMANSHIP AWARD: This award will be given to the person or group with the best craftsmanship. Novice, Journeyman, and Master divisions are eligible for this award.
BEST IN SHOW PERFORMANCE AWARD: This award will be given to the entrant(s) with the best performance. Any performance is eligible for this award.
YOUTH (Ages 12 and under): This category is for those who are 12 and under. You are allowed to receive help on your costume from friends and family.
ORIGINAL DESIGN: This category is for all costumes that are based on your own design or a fanart design. There is no award limitation for this category.
CREATIVITY: Best use of unconventional materials.
NOVICE: This category is for contestants that are new to making costumes for themselves. No more than 1 major award and/or no more than 5 costumes made.
JOURNEYMAN: This category is for contestants that have won no more than 3 major awards and/or more than 10 costumes made.
MASTER: This category for those who have more than 3 major awards and/or more than 15 costumes made.
ABOUT THE JUDGED CATEGORIES:
All costumes must have been made from scratch by the costume creator. Most of your items need to be made by you. Commissioned or store-bought costumes cannot be entered into the contest but are welcome to be in the exhibition category. Fanart costumes will only be permitted in the original design category. All costumes must be derived from the original source material/artist/creator.
You can pre-register using the form below! You can also register at the convention, however, judging time preference will be given to those who pre-register first. Everything will be first-come first-serve for the contest at the cosplay sign-in table.
Remember, if your costume is being judged for craftsmanship you must have a printed reference of your character for the accuracy score. The judges will see dozens of costumes over the course of two days, so these really help them to remember you and what made you amazing! Please have your references and cosplays ready for your judging time.
Those who pre-register will sign up for their judging times before the con. Everyone else should come to the cosplay table to check-in and select a time to come back and get judged.
Every contestant will receive 5 minutes to talk about their costume, which will be timed. Tell the judges how you constructed your cosplay, how you decided on certain materials or patterns, and what you love about it and what you struggled with but overcame! This is your time to tell them how much you learned from the creative process, so keep it positive and try not to focus on the little things that you might still want to fix.
Judging will be in 10 minute blocks (5 minutes for you to talk, 5 minutes for logistics and judges to discuss and score) so make sure to come a little early for your time just in case someone drops or the judges finish talking early. You must be on time for your judging spot or you will have to re-register for a time if there is one still available. So coming early and waiting is encouraged!
All performance entries are subject to the following rules:
- Costumes and skits must be PG-13. Tsubasacon is a family friendly event so please keep in mind if it is appropriate for children in the audience. If you are unsure whether your skit is appropriate, please feel free to email the Cosplay Coordinator for feedback.
- Skits must be no longer than 3 minutes in length. So if you can, we encourage you to pre-record your skits unless it absolutely must be performed live. You will be given 30 seconds in which to enter and set up, as well as 30 seconds to clean up and leave the stage.
- Objects and activities not permitted on stage: No live steel and firearms, incendiary devices (such as sparklers, firecrackers or smoke bombs). No throwing of objects will be permitted. If you hit the audience, equipment, or judges with thrown objects (ie, Pokeballs) you will be disqualified.
- Careless behavior on stage that could result in falling off stage, or breaking/damaging equipment (or nearly doing so) will result in disqualification. If you break something, you buy it. A lot of the equipment is property of the techs or rentals so please keep this in mind.
- If you have a group performing try to limit how many are on stage at one time. There should be no more than 5 people should be on stage at a time. If your group involves staged fighting, no more than 3 people should be on stage at any given time. If there is stage fighting please get this approved by the Cosplay Coordinator ahead of time.
- What goes on stage with you MUST come off stage as you leave. So please nothing that will damage the stage like liquids, fake blood or confetti that cannot be picked up easily. If you think it could be an issue, always check with the cosplay staff first.
- You are allowed to compete both in craftsmanship and performance. Just fill out one form and state you are doing a skit as well!
We are looking forward to seeing you at the convention in October! Be sure to join us!