Duties of A Volunteer
As a volunteer, you may be asked to do any of the following:
- Assist with the preparations of a given room, (Setting chairs, tear-down, escort for seating, assisting in the ‘running’ of an activity.)
- Assist the security team. (Checking Badges, keeping the hallways clear of trip-hazards, keeping “lines“ orderly.)
- Assist with the registration desk.
- Assist with general maintenance of the convention. (Resetting viewing room chairs, general organization.)
- Work as an assistant for Tsubasacon’s Department Heads & Staff.
- Assist with any other duty as needed, at the discretion of the Volunteer Coordinator.
The Volunteer’s Creed
As a volunteer, I promise responsibility for the following:
- Performing tasks that are given to me by the Volunteer Coordinator, or other Staff Members to whom the VC has assigned me to.
- Arriving in a presentable and timely fashion for my shift; contacting the VC should an issue arise; check-in with the VC in the manner designated when I am ready to volunteer.
- Make the convention as enjoyable as I can for the public. By following a standard code of conduct, refraining from lewd actions and behavior that would not be considered professional, because I understand that by being a volunteer - I am representing Tsubasacon as a whole.
How Do I Become A Volunteer?
By going through the following process, you can become an important part of Tsubasacon.
1. Fill out the application!
-Our application is hosted online.
-When the application deadline comes to pass, designated Staff members will review all submitted applicants and notify if their application (1.) has been approved and that person will be joining the volunteer team, (2.) will be held until the next deadline (there are 2 within the year!), (3.) has been put on retainer in the event that there is a shortage, (4.) has been denied outright.
3. Pre-Convention Contact and Training!
-To ensure that all Volunteers are able to complete their duties to the best of their ability, the Volunteer Coordinator may make contact with them at various increments over the months before Tsubasacon. This may include meetings, or contact through email/messenger.
If for some reason it is deemed prudent to establish a form of training or education, information may be provided..."to each volunteer in order to better prepare them for their convention duties.”
Because of liability concerns, selection preference will be given to applicants who are 18 years old or over. All applicants will be expected to bring a photo ID to the convention which indicates the applicant's age (Military or University picture ID's without a birth date will not be accepted)
The Benefits of Volunteering
Volunteers are reimbursed at the following rate:
10-hours yields $20 in "Tsubasabucks"
20-hours: You get the above "Tsubasabucks" plus badge reimbursement (Up to $30 – in cash!)
*TsubasaBucks can be used on Tsubasacon Table Merchandise (located by registration), or for registration fees for the following year.
In order to manage and record this time, volunteers are expected to check-in/out with the Volunteer Coordinator as hours can only be approved by the Volunteer Department staff. The Volunteer may seek reimbursement when his/her hour log has been completed (10/20 hours confirmed) or at the end of the convention, whichever occurs first. The minimum of 10 hours volunteered must be met in order to achieve reward. Reimbursement will be handled by the Volunteer Staff/Vice-Con Chair.
In special cases there are times when a volunteer is reassigned to another task, or relieved of their duties by a Staff Member they have been assigned to. When this occurs, it is the volunteer’s responsibility to check-in with the VC. It is also the volunteer’s responsibility to remain at their assigned post until the time of completion. If a volunteer cannot be found at their particular assigned location or task, with no extenuating circumstances causing their absence, the volunteer may not receive approved hours for that particular assignment. Repeat offenses may be subject to release of responsibilities from Tsubasacon’s Volunteer Program and benefits, as well as future volunteer opportunities.