How well do you know your character? The things that tickle their funny bone, or those that tug at their heartstrings? Show us how well you know the depths of your character by engaging the audience in 3 rounds of unforgettable improv!
For those about to Act (we salute you)
- Costumes are practically a necessity so we know who you are (and can find content on the character), original designs are highly discouraged.
- Participants are to sign up online prior to the convention. (We will have limited slots for contestants, so sign up ASAP)
- This is a daytime event, and given that our convention is family friendly we will be stamping this contest with a PG-Rating.
The contest will go as follows:
- Contestants will give a 20-30 second monologue befitting their character. (Participants will be stopped if they go over that time limit)
The judges will confer and decide which contestants will go to the next round.
- In “Whose Line” fashion, contestants will be given a scene to act out/respond to as their character from the judges. (90 second max)
The judges will confer and decide which contestants go on to the final round.
Round Three (FIGHT)
- The final contestants will be given a scene to act out/respond to that has been drawn at random from crowd suggestions gathered pre-event. Contestants will also be given a “helper” at random (be it a judge or a random audience member) for this max 3 minute scene.
The judges will confer and crown the King/Queen of In-Character!
Applications are now closed! See you at the convention!
Would you love to show off your awesome cosplay on stage? When you register for the cosplay craftsmanship contest, you will be given a chance to show off your costume on stage! Even if you rather not be judged, we have a exhibition walk-ons category as well.
This year's theme is Feudal Era Japan. Mitsuki and Kitsuba would love to see what you come up with! Note you do not have to be from something in this period but there will be a special award for anyone that falls in this category!
EXHIBITION: This category is for people who only want to show off their costume on stage for fun. It will not be for competing to receive awards. This category allows: commission costumes and store-bought costumes. There will be a limit to this category depending on contestants.
FEUDAL ERA AWARD: Anyone entering will automatically be considered for this award if their cosplay fits this years theme for the convention.
BEST CRAFTSMANSHIP AWARD: This award will be given to the person or group with the best craftsmanship. Novice, Journeyman, and Master divisions are eligible for this award. The award is 100.00 cash prize award.
BEST PERFORMANCE AWARD: This award will be given to the entrant(s) with the best performance. Any performance is eligible for this award. The award is 100.00 cash prize award.
JUNIORS (Ages 12 and under): This category is for those who are 12 and under. You are allowed to receive help on your costume from friends and family.
ORIGINAL DESIGN: This category is for all costumes that are based on your own design or a fanart design. There is no award limitation for this category.
NOVICE: This category is for contestants that are new to making costumes for themselves. No more than 1 major award and/or no more than 4 costumes made.
JOURNEYMAN: This category is for contestants that have won no more than 3 major awards and/or more than 10 costumes made.
MASTER: This category for those who have more than 3 major awards and/or more than 15 costumes made.
ABOUT THE JUDGED CATEGORIES:
All costumes must have been made from scratch by the costume creator. Most of your items need to be made by you. Commissioned costumes cannot be entered into the contest but is welcomed to be in the exhibition category. No fanart costumes will only be permitted in the original design category. All costumes must be derived from the original source material/artist/creator.
You can pre-register using the form below! You can register also at the convention, however, judging time preference will be given to those who pre-register first. Everything will be first come first serve for the contest at the cosplay sign-in/judging table. Remember if your costume is being judged for craftsmanship you must have a printed reference of your character for the accuracy score. It is preferred for it to be a color printout, but bringing figures, tablets, manga, books, laptops, etc., will also be accepted. Please have your references and cosplays ready for your judging time.
If you pre-registered, please come check-in at the cosplay table as soon as you get to the convention so we know you are available still. We will schedule you a time at sign-up to come back for judging of your outfit. Judging will be on 10 minute blocks so make sure to come a little early for your time just in case someone drops. You must be on time for your judging spot or you will have to re-register for a time if there is one still available. So coming early and waiting is encouraged!
All performance entries are subject to the following rules:
- Costumes and skits must be PG-13. Tsubasacon is a family friendly event so please keep this in mind if it is appropriate for children in the audience. If you are unsure whether your skit is appropriate, please feel free to email the Cosplay Coordinator for feedback.
- Skits must be no longer than 3 minutes in length. So if you can, we encourage you to pre-record your skits unless it absolutely must be performed live. You will be given 30 seconds in which to enter and set up, as well as 30 seconds to clean up and leave the stage.
- Objects and activities not permitted on stage: No live steel and firearms, incendiary devices (such as sparklers, firecrackers or smoke bombs). No throwing of objects will be permitted. If you hit the audience, equipment or judges with thrown objects (ie, Pokeballs) you will be disqualified.
- Careless behavior on stage that could result in falling off stage, or breaking/damaging equipment (or nearly doing so) will result in disqualification. If you break something, you buy it. A lot of the equipment is property of the techs or rentals so please keep this in mind.
- What goes on stage with you MUST come off stage as you leave. So please nothing that will damage the stage like liquids, fake blood or confetti that cannot be pick up easily. If you think it could be an issue, always check with the cosplay staff first.
- You are allowed to compete both in craftsmanship and performance. Just fill out one form and state you are doing a skit as well!
We are looking forward to seeing you at the convention in October! Be sure to join us!
Tsubasacon 2017 Cosplay Contest Entry
Applications are now closed! You can still apply at the convention!